Illinois Plumbing Code Under Revision
The Illinois Plumbing Code is under revision and proposals being considered would ban the use of: temperature actuated mixing valves for hot water distribution (ASSE 1017 devices); galvanized steel pipe for both drainage/vent pipe and water service pipe; and non-metallic RPZ backflow preventer devices when associated with dialysis equipment. On February 11, 2019 ASA submitted comments on the proposed changes to the IPC. Additional information will be provided as the process moves forward.
International Plumbing Code
The IPC is a model code developed by the International Code Council.
- The final actions on the proposed changes to the 2018 IPC have been completed and are available for review.
- The next cycle for revisions of the IPC begin in January 2021 with the following critical deadlines:
- Call for Committee applications need to be submitted by June initial proposals for changes required to be submitted by June 1, 2021. To apply click here. ASA has submitted an application to serve on the Committee. January 11. 2021.
- Proposed changes to the IPC need to be submitted by January 11, 2021. ASA will be collecting proposals for change up until October 1, 2020 for review and final approval by the ASA Codes Committee prior to submittal to ICC.
- To access the complete code cycle timeline click here.
Uniform Plumbing Code
The UPC is a model code developed by the International Association of Plumbing & Mechanical Officials (IAPMO). It is currently under review for updates to be included in in 2021 publication of the model code. The following provides background on the review process activities:
ASME A-112 Product Standards
The American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) A112 Committee is responsible for the development and maintenance of product standards covering all types of plumbing fixtures including: water closets, faucets, drainage systems, and air-gap devices.
ASSE Product Standards
The American Society of Sanitary Engineering (ASSE) Product Standards Committee is responsible for the development and maintenance of product standards focusing in the areas of backflow prevention, and water temperature control.
ASTM Product Standards
ASA participates in several Main Committee activities at ASTM including:
- ASTM Committee E06 on Performance of Buildings address issues relating to the performance of buildings, their elements, components, and the description, measurement, prediction, improvement and management of the overall performance of buildings and building related facilities.
- ASTM Committee E36 on Conformity Assessment cover all aspects important to conformity assessment, including, operation and recognition of accreditation bodies and conformity assessment entities for calibration and testing laboratories, inspection bodies, and certification and registration bodies.
- ASTM Committee F17 on Plastic Piping Systems responsible for product standards that are referenced in many plumbing and building codes and ensure quality and performance for the plastic pipe industry.
Current open ballots under consideration: