This 30-minute interactive lesson focuses on how a commercial boiler or steam generator operates as part of a steam system. After you have successfully completed this lesson, you will be able to:
• Describe water’s three states of matter and explain the term “phase change.”
• Compare sensible heat with latent heat and discuss how they apply to the steam system.
• Contrast saturated steam with superheated steam.
• Discuss the effect that temperature and pressure have on water and the steam system.
• Explain why the near piping system is important for the proper functioning of the steam system.
• Compare the one-pipe system with the two-pipe system.
• Discuss at least two advantages of the two-pipe system.
• Explain the purpose of heat transfer devices and explain the operation of at least two types.