How to Use the Toolbox Talk Templates
In September 2008, ASA signed an Alliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to provide ASA’s members with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety by addressing exposure to hazards associated with material handling, forklift operations and hazard communication. Through this Alliance, ASA has developed a toolbox talk template for you to use with your employees. We encourage you to put safety on the agenda of each and every staff meeting. By continually educating your employees, you will make safety a priority thus preventing costly incidents and ensuring the well being of your employees.
Use these tips to ensure your presentation is effective:
Keep records of presentations completed and attendees. All employees should have education records as a part of their personnel file.
- Customize these templates to the culture of your workplace. They have been written as generalized templates to allow flexibility in presentation and usage.
- Infuse these templates with additional details specific to machinery and/or specific situations to your facility.
- Begin your presentation by getting the employees’ attention and illustrate why this is important to them. Describe an accident involving the featured topic, if available.
- Whenever possible, add a “show and tell” component to your presentation. For instance, when presenting on ladder safety, bring a ladder to your meeting to show and demonstrate proper usage.
- Solicit feedback at the close of your presentation. Listen to your employees and find out if further training is needed. Encourage your employees to disclose potential hazards they have identified within their work area.
- Share these templates with your supervisory staff as well as make them available as handouts for your staff meetings.